Sunday, April 8, 2007

Two game series vs terror[light]

I recently played a pair of games vs terror[light]. Both games were on the same map (reverse temple) and at the same positions, 6 and 9. In the first game, he opened with a bunker rush and I defended ably with drones; from there I exploited his poverty by going quick 2 hatch lurk/ling and running into his base killing everything in my path.

The second game was a bit of a different story though. My initial overlord betrayed my presence, so my opponent sent an SCV to see what I was building. Early scouting is very important when you're going 14 cc. He found out the great news that I was going 9 pool speedling (pool b4 gas). He frantically placed barracks and a bunker and I killed most of his scvs. Instead of combining this rush with an expo I had opted for 1 hatch tech. I did some harass with my speedlings and once he had that defended I had 3 muta behind his mineral line. July zerg would have been proud...

I harassed for a while, finally expanding 9 minutes into the game (I harassed constantly from minute 6 to minute 8 with muta and harassed basically from minute 4-10 entirely). I dual spired, in order to acheive quicker upgrades, and added a third hatch. I delayed my opponents natural expansion with my highly mobile highly deadly muta force, but made a great tactical error committing to an all in muta battle at his main which his stimmed 1/1 marines won handily. It was a foolish risk, perhaps unneccesary but there is a definite time limit on the effectiveness of an all muta force; the timing could have been right. In future I will attack to keep muta closer together in order to get more kills at once when doing a base invasion with 2 groups+.

From there, I grabbed 3 expos (my mienral only and the 3 base) and my opponent expanded to his natural and then eventaully his mineral only. He massed sci and m&m and I could not create a standing army to fight his.

I didn't use lurkers, which is usually a big mistake against terran but there is still a great deal of experimenting I need to conduct. I have also learned an amazing truth... that I make far too many drones and that is probably my biggest weakness.

No comments: